BABL

Musée Jenisch

x
Babl Jenisch 34

Located in Vevey on the shores of Lake Geneva (one of the stages of the Romantic ‘Grand Tour’) the museum attracts visitors drawn by the heritage of Rousseau and Byron. It owes its creation to a gift: as a mark of her gratitude towards a town in which she had spent many happy times with her husband, Fanny Jenisch (1801–1881), the widow of a senator from Hamburg, donates two hundred thousand gold francs to the town of Vevey to fund the construction of an encyclopaedic museum combining art and science.

Girafe002

La giraffe de Vevey.

Inaugurated in March 1897, the museum is built in a neo-classical style by the architects Maillard and Convert. A replica of the Parthenon frieze adorns its façade, while the entrance hall and main staircase have mosaic floors and are decorated with columns and statues based on models from Antiquity. In accordance with Fanny’s wishes the museum also houses a library, and welcomes generations of schoolchildren who come to discover its stuffed animals – including the famous giraffe – and attend drawing lessons. In the 1980s, the scientific collections are transferred to the cantonal zoology museum in Lausanne. In 1989, the renovated museum becomes home to the Fondation Oskar Kokoschka and the Canton of Vaud prints collection. The departure of the municipal library in 2004 frees up a space on the lower level, enabling the now somewhat cramped museum to expand in order to accommodate its growing collections.

Babl Jenisch 22 2

Rez supérieur.

Babl Jenisch 41

Coupe transversale.

Babl Jenisch 40

Coupe longitudinale.

We tried to embed the historic building in its modern context while remaining faithful to its past. Wherever possible, the aim was to restore the building to its original appearance preserving the unique atmosphere, reflected in the mosaic floors and the coloration of the walls in the hall.  Passing through the entrance hall with its remarkable epic décor, so redolent of Antiquity – columns, mouldings, Pompeii-style walls and frescoes by Ernest Biéler – visitors encounter the exhibition galleries in the modernised areas, in a deliberate departure from the historicising register. The museum now houses temporary exhibitions on the ground floor, while the highlights – the historical collections, from 16th-century paintings to contemporary works, the Fondation Oskar Kokoschka section, the prints and drawings – are on permanent display on the upper floor, with regularly changing hangings.

Babl Jenisch 36
Babl Jenisch 30
Babl Jenisch 44

La méchanique physique des flux et lumières.

Babl Jenisch 35

Les différences géométriques entre la logique de dedans et dehors.

Babl Jenisch 01

Le jeu entre la lumière de jour et artificielle, l’intensité et la température conditionnée.

Babl Jenisch 27

La salle Kokoschka.

Babl Jenisch 03

La salle des estampes en ‘lavis Mariette’, basée sur une harmonie en bleu, blanc et or de cadre.

Babl Jenisch 04
Babl Jenisch 06

Le hall d’entrée avec un bélier de Troie.

Babl Jenisch 14

Le desk d’accueil mobil qui reprend la texture d’un bélier du fresque au fond.               

Babl Jenisch 12

la voilà le bélier en cause..

Babl Jenisch 08
Babl Jenisch 05
Images Php
Babl Jenisch 20
Jenisch Eingang

Le gardien principal dans sa bête.

Babl Jenisch 09

Les cheveux peints à la main un par un.

Babl Jenisch 29

Une vitrine albino.

Babl Jenisch 13

La bibliothèque sous le toit.

Babl Jenisch 22

L’escalier reconstruit vers la collection dans la cave.

Babl Jenisch 21

Béton poncé.

Babl Jenisch 24

Le dépot des tableaux.

Babl Jenisch 33

L’arrière de Jenisch avec l’église orthodox de la même époque.

Babl Jenisch 31

Jenisch nocturne.

Bâtiment inauguré en 1897 par Fanny Jenisch. Transformation et réorganisation des salles d’exposition et des espaces de dépôt d’œuvres, création d’un cabinet de consultation, restauration des halls de circulation, mises aux normes de conservation, de sécurité et de défense incendie, aménagement de l’accueil.

Les niveaux intermédiaires ajoutés lors de précédents travaux sont supprimés pour restituer les volumes dans leurs grandes hauteurs. Les salles d’expositions sont construites à l’intérieur de ces volumes originaux. Les cimaises d’une hauteur constante sont continues tout autour des salles, ce qui augmente la capacité d’exposition, alors qu’en hauteur un jeu de transparence permet de comprendre le rythme des ouvertures de façade.